549 N. Queen Street, Martinsburg, WV 25404
Pastor Mark C. Mooney
Come Worship with Us
8:30 Contemporary Worship
9:30 Sunday School for all ages
10:50 Traditional Worship
5th Sunday of a Month Unity Service-10:50AM (October 30)
September 25th: Special guest Speaker: Rev. Dr. Mary Jo Sims
October 2nd: World Communion Day
October 9th: Pastor Appreciation Sunday
Crop Walk 2:00PM
October 16th: Laity Sunday
October 23rd: Service of Christian Healing
October 30th: Reformation Sunday
Trunk or Treat 6-8:00
Adopt-A-Street Neighborhood Ministry will begin again this spring and continue until fall. Please join us as we pick up trash and visit with our neighbors. Mark your calendars with the following Adopt-A-Street dates:
September 17th - 10AM-Noon
Otterbein United Methodist Church in Martinsburg dates from 1867 when the United Brethren Society built "Otterbein Chapel" which is located on Pennsylvania Avenue at the northeast corner of the church parking lot. This building is now the Martinsburg Apostolic Church. In 1946, the church became known as Martinsburg First Evangelical United Brethren Church. In 1968, with the merger of the Evangelical United Brethren and the Methodist Church, the name was changed to Otterbein United Methodist Church.
Otterbein's sanctuary holds about 550 people on two levels. Originally, the balconies were used for Sunday School classes, the pastor's study was to the right of the pulpit, and other classes were located in a large basement. The sanctuary was renovated in 1980 and a small chapel was created behind the east wall. Other improvements were made in 1989.
The stained glass windows were created by the Pittsburgh Art Glass Co. and are original to the 1912 building. The rose window over the pulpit was a gift of the Ladies Aid Society of the church. The west balcony window of the Good Shepherd was a gift of the Sewing Circle. The south balcony window of the Blessing Savior was given by the Young People's Christian Endeavor Society.
Otterbein's Organ was originally crafted by the Moller Organ Co. of Hagerstown, MD in 1922. It was rebuilt in 1980 and upgraded from 9 to 13 ranks. There are a total of 812 pipes, ranging in size from 5/8" to 16'. The two manual consoles control three divisions - Great Organ, Swell Organ, and Pedal Organ - with 13 adjustable combination pistons and a full complement of couplers.
Otterbein's congregation comes from throughout the Berkeley-Jefferson County area and is a mix of young families and long-time members. We are an active, friendly congregation with many programs for all ages.